Kitchens are the heart of the home. As such, they tend to accumulate a lot of stuff.
Where do you put that cookie press that only gets used once a year?
Or how about all of your Tupperware?
The easiest solution for cluttered kitchens is to install a freestanding kitchen cabinet. These hassle-free space savers come in many sizes, shapes, and price points.
We have rounded up the best freestanding kitchen cabinets so you can find the perfect one for your home.
Best Freestanding Kitchen Cabinet
- Buffet of Buffets with Hutch by Home Styles – Best overall
- Americana Distressed Oak Pantry by Home Styles – Most authentic looking
- Sauder Miscellaneous Storage Storage Cabinet – Best neutral option
- Home Styles Nantucket Pantry – Most versatile closed storage
- HOMCOM Contemporary Freestanding Kitchen Cabinet– Most modern
- Crosley Furniture Seaside Kitchen Pantry Cabinet – Most sturdy
- Salinas Kitchen Pantry Cabinet by Bush Furniture – Easiest to assemble
- Crosley Furniture Alexandria Kitchen Pantry Cabinet– Best for display
- Hodedah Long Standing Kitchen Cabinet – Best narrow option
- HOMCOM Modern Kitchen Pantry – Best combination of open/closed
- ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet – Best for low ceilings
Reviews – Best Freestanding Kitchen Cabinets
Buffet of Buffets with Hutch by Home Styles – Best overall
- Solid wood and veneers
- Provide added storage and workspace for the kitchen and dining areas of the home
- Available in a White finish with a Stainless Steel Top buffet and White Top hutch
- Assembly required. Measures 31-1/4-inch width by 15-7/8-inch depth by 71-1/2-inch Height
- Ships in several boxes, may ship separately
This versatile freestanding kitchen cabinet can be farmhouse chic or modern and sleek. The hardwood and wood construction comes in a classic white, but you can customize the counter area by choosing a wood top or a stainless steel top.
This flat counter space is an excellent place to set out coffee or appetizers when entertaining; or it can be used as a storage area when you are not hosting guests. But the true storage spaces are above and below the countertop.
Underneath the counter space are two easy-glide utility drawers and two wood framed cabinet doors that hide an adjustable shelf. Up above are two additional doors featuring framed glass that also conceal an adjustable shelf.
You have plenty of options for storing anything cluttering your kitchen, from dry goods to utensils. Adjustable floor levelers help to keep all your items safe, secure, while they are stored out of the way.
- Includes a transparent and opaque storage area
- Two utility drawers
- Countertop space in wood or 18 gauge stainless steel
- Includes floor levelers
- Available only in white
- 15.87” x 31.25” x 71.5”
- Solid wood and veneers, optional 18 gauge stainless steel
Americana Distressed Oak Pantry by Home Styles – most authentic looking
- Two cabinets with four adjustable shelves accommodate food, kitchen utensils, or other items.
- Distressed oak finish creates an aged, well-worn and unique vintage look.
- Antique nickel finish on hardware is extremely durable and coordinates well with other finishes.
- Hardwood is incredibly strong, easy to clean and maintains its beauty for ages.
This gorgeous cabinet is made of hardwood solids and veneers in a distressed oak finish. Not only is it beautiful, it also provides plenty of room.
It is tall and stunning, including delicately carved details at the top and raised paneling. Two sets of hinged doors reveal multiple shelves within. The shelves are adjustable which is great if you need to store items of varying heights.
Though it is tall, it isn’t wide and is ideal for tight spaces. You can store everything you need in style with this appealing farmhouse chic cabinet.
- Beautiful distressed oak finish
- Finely detailed
- Adjustable shelves
- Very solid
- Time-consuming to assemble
- Only available in one color
- 30” W x 16” D x 72” H
- Hardwood solids and veneers
Sauder Miscellaneous Storage Storage Cabinet – best neutral option
- Four adjustable shelves
- Full upper shelf
- Cinnamon Cherry finish
- Engineered wood construction
- Assembled Dimensions: L: 29.375" x W: 16.125" x H: 71.125"
This simple cabinet can suit a variety of styles, decor, and homes. It comes in three different finishes: Cinnamon cherry, Highland oak, and Soft white. It is made from recycled materials and is effortless to assemble.
Its detailed frame, panel doors, and sides add just enough understated detail. Within the two doors, you will find four adjustable shelves and a full-width upper shelf. This enables you to store a wide variety of items from large things like your blender to small ones like dish towels. This cabinet is simple to assemble and will quickly help organize your kitchen.
- Available in three colors
- Suits a variety of home styles and decor
- Includes a full-width shelf
- Narrow to fit in tight spaces
- Pre-drilled holes are often misaligned
- 16.02” W x 29.61″ D x 71.5″ H
- Recycled materials
Home Styles Nantucket Pantry – most versatile closed storage
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
- Made of hardwood solids and engineered wood in a sanded and distressed white finish providing an aged worn look
- Features storage drawer, two cabinet doors each containing two adjustable shelves
- Antiqued brushed nickel hardware
- Dimensions: Size: 30" Width x 16" Depth x 71.5" Height
The Home Styles Nantucket Pantry is a great choice if you have a wide variety of items to store. This classic looking freestanding cabinet is made from hardwood solids and engineered wood. It is then sanded and distressed and given a white finish to achieve its antique Americana appearance. You can also choose to go with the natural clear maple finish for a more authentic look.
There are two sets of hinged doors complete with beautiful antiqued brushed nickel hardware. The doors have magnets to help keep them closed. Inside there are two sets of adjustable shelves which allow you to store stacks, boxes, and items of varying heights. For your smaller items, there is a drawer perfectly equipped to hold silverware or even boxes of tea. Four included leveling feet help you achieve the perfect fit!
- Four adjustable shelves
- Includes storage drawer
- Includes four leveling feet
- Includes brushed nickel hardware
- The white finish is actually off-white
- Magnets have difficulty holding doors closed
- 30″ Width x 16″ Depth x 71.5″ Height
- Hardwood solids and engineered wood
HOMCOM Contemporary Freestanding Kitchen Cabinet- most modern
- Modern Style: If you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, you want a beautiful piece that you enjoy looking at and matches the theme in your home. This pantry cabinet features a modern design, paired with frame glass doors, recessed doors and black round knobs, fitting well with your home decor.
- Sufficient Space for Storage and Display: Our kitchen cabinet features two 2-tier cabinets with doors providing large storage space for kitchen utensils and plates.
- Multifunctional: The tall storage cabinet helps you keep collections, clothes, pots and pans, great for living room, bedrooms, or dining room.
- Safety First: Safety is our first priority for you and your family, which is why there is an anti-tipping kit on the back of this kitchen pantry that you can fix to the wall to ensure it will not fall over.
- Kitchen Cupboard Information: Overall Dimensions: 33.5" W x 15.25" D x 71" H, Weight Capacity: 154 lbs.
This cabinet will look wonderful in your kitchen no matter your existing decor thanks to its neutral appearance. Its classic and contemporary design is unobtrusive and fits in well. You can even choose between a black finish and a natural wood grain finish. It is perfect for housing all of your dishes and keeping them dust-free.
Two doors on top featuring framed glass provide the perfect opportunity to display your china without them gathering dust. Down below interior shelves reside behind another set of doors. It has plenty of room for kitchen items as well as other items that find their way into your kitchen. No matter how much you store in it, its safety wall fixtures mean it won’t topple over.
- Includes two framed glass doors for display
- Wall safety fixtures for anti-toppling
- Neutral appearance
- Easy to clean
- Particleboard construction
- 33.5″ W x 15.25″ D x 71″ H
- Solid P2 particle board and P2 MDF
Crosley Furniture Seaside Kitchen Pantry Cabinet – most sturdy
- Classic design featuring bead board panels
- Veneer construction
- Two large cabinets with adjustable shelves
- Deep, easy-glide storage drawer
- Genuine metal hardware
The Crosley Furniture Seaside Kitchen Pantry Cabinet has a traditional design due to its classic beadboard panels. This allows it to look perfectly at home in any kitchen. The solid hardwood is sturdy while the wood veneer can be customized with a distressed black or distressed white finish.
There is an upper and a lower cabinet complete with hinged doors and two adjustable shelves each. In between the spacious cabinets is a deep storage drawer with an easy glide track. It’s the ideal spot to store small items within reach. The genuine metal hardware completes this class looking cabinet.
- Includes deep easy glide door
- Classic beadboard paneling
- Solid hardwood construction
- Available in black or white
- Tricky to assemble
- The strong smell takes time to dissipate
- 72” x 30” x 16” inches
- Solid hardwood and wood veneer
Salinas Kitchen Pantry Cabinet by Bush Furniture – easiest to assemble
- 32W x 16D x 63H Storage Cabinet includes five shelves for organizing a kitchen pantry or dining room
- Three adjustable shelves accommodate items of various sizes while two fixed shelves provide stability
- Each of the Pantry Cabinet's shelves supports up to 50 pounds
- Doors open on smooth Euro style hinges for easy access to food, utensils, dinnerware and other kitchen supplies
- Distressed finish options include a cream colored Antique White, Pure White with Shiplap Gray, Cape Cod Gray, Vintage Black, Ash Brown, Reclaimed Pine and Driftwood Gray
If you are looking for a cabinet that is shorter in stature, consider the Salinas Kitchen Pantry Cabinet. This cabinet is on the shorter side, which is necessary if you have low ceilings.
Instead of an upper and lower cabinet, it has two full doors for a paired down casual look. Behind the easy glide doors are four adjustable shelves that will suit items of any size. Each robust shelf can support up to 25 pounds.
Assembled with engineered wood and thermally fused laminate, you have a choice of three color options: Cape Cod Gray, Vintage Black, or a cream-colored Antique White. Each one complemented by Tumbled Pewter hardware.
- Deep shelves
- Shorter stature for low ceilings
- Each shelf can support 25 pounds
- Smooth Euro-style door hinges
- Weak legs
- Difficult to line up doors when assembling
- 31.49” x 15.74” x 62.95”
- engineered wood and thermally fused laminate
Crosley Furniture Alexandria Kitchen Pantry Cabinet- best for display
- Veneer construction
- Two sets of tempered ribbed glass doors
- Four adjustable shelves, two fixed shelves
- Two deep, easy-glide storage drawers with removable wine dividers
- Drawers are mounted on full extension glides
The Crosley Furniture Alexandria Kitchen Pantry Cabinet is excellent for when you want both storage and display. This solid hardwood and veneer construction cabinet includes two sets of doors, a taller upper portion, and a shorter lower portion. Each door is outfitted with tempered ribbed glass that prevents dust from settling on your items but still allows you to view what is inside.
Behind the doors are four adjustable shelves, three on the top and one on the bottom for storing items of diverse sizes and heights. The lower part of the cabinet also includes two easy-glide drawers that are ideal for things like dish cloths and silverware. Or, you can use the included wine dividers to store bottles. This beautiful white cabinet is chic but casual and provides endless storage.
- Ribbed tempered glass doors
- Two easy-glide drawers
- Includes wine dividers
- 4 adjustable shelves and 2 fixed shelves
- Glass is somewhat opaque
- Only available in white
- 74.5” x 19” x 32.5” inches
- Solid hardwood and veneer construction, tempered glass
Hodedah Long Standing Kitchen Cabinet – best narrow option
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the installation manual (provided in pdf below)
- Two transparent doors on top with shelf
- Space for microwave or toaster
- One drawer for easy organization
- Two doors at the bottom with shelf for additional storage
Searching for storage and a little extra counter space? Consider the Hodedah Long Standing Kitchen Cabinet. It provides both storage and a flat open area that would make a wonderful coffee bar or a spot to set your microwave.
On top of this tall cabinet is a shelf enclosed by two transparent glass doors. The middle of the cabinet is open with a flat surface for setting a microwave, coffee maker, or even to be used as a service area. Below this is a deep drawer that can easily hold tea, sugar, silverware, or linens. Finally, on the bottom are two wooden doors with an additional shelf behind them that is perfect for holding your heavy or bulky items.
Available in six different colors, this contemporary cabinet will seamlessly match your existing decor.
- Includes an open space with a flat surface
- Includes a transparent storage area
- Has a deep drawer
- Tedious assembly instructions
- Some of the pieces aren’t labeled or incorrectly labeled for assembly
- 70.86 in. H x 23.85 in. W x 15.75 in. D
- Pressed wood and glass
HOMCOM Modern Kitchen Pantry – best combination of open/closed storage
- Sleek Modern Design: A clean aesthetic and minimal metal handles create a chic modern kitchen cabinet that brings you a brand-new feeling of style and a classic look.
- Sturdy Construction: Constructed of MDF boards, this pantry cabinet is sturdy and stable. Let this kitchen pantry refresh your home to a neat and organized place.
- Ample Storage Space: 2 cabinets, 1 open cupboard, and an open countertop shelf provide an amazing amount of storage in this cupboard cabinet. Transparent glass-panelled doors make it easy for you to identify the items placed in the cabinets.
- Versatile Style: This hutch cabinet can be used in various settings and scenarios. It is suitable for use as a microwave cabinet in the kitchen and pantry, but also a great bathroom cabinet to add storage space to your cleaning room.
- Easy To Assemble And Maintain: High-quality hardware and detailed instructions are included. With a flat and smooth surface, you can easily wipe dust and dirt off to keep the pantry cabinet clean. Overall Dimensions: 31.5" L x 14.5" W x 72" H
The chic and minimalist HOMCOM Modern Kitchen Pantry will give you storage and counter space all in one sleek-looking freestanding cabinet. It has a variety of storage options so you can find the perfect home for all of your belongings.
There are two cabinets, each one with beautiful transparent glass-paneled doors so you can easily locate your items. There is another open cupboard that is ideal for dishes and an open countertop shelf that lends itself well to a serving or display area.
The cabinet is constructed from engineered wood and is available with either a white or black finish. Minimalist metal handles complete the sleek aesthetic.
- Open countertop area
- Open shelving area
- Two glass-paneled enclosed storage areas
- Easy to assemble and care for
- Pre-drilled holes may be misaligned
- “Butcher block” shelf isn’t real wood
- 31.5” x 14.5” x 72”
- Engineered Wood and glass
ClosetMaid Pantry Cabinet – best for low ceilings
- STANDING PANTRY CABINET: Creates functional kitchen or utility room storage options
- STURDY DESIGN: Versatile cupboard for storing canned foods, storage containers, pet supplies, cleaning items, cookbooks & more with this sturdy cabinet
- ADJUSTABLE SHELVES: Four interior shelves with two adjustable shelves allow you to adjust for odd-sized items
- SLIM DESIGN: 12.5 in. total depth offers plenty of storage with a compact fit into your space; Measures 59.5 in. H x 12.5 in. D x 24 in. W
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE WOOD STORAGE CABINET: All hardware included for easy assembly; When opening the box, please make sure to remove all pieces before discarding the box, the Back panel can sometimes be against the side of the box
This is a must-have for those who don’t need a lot of extra space and don’t want a monstrously tall cabinet towering over their kitchen. At almost five feet tall, it is the perfect petite height.
Inside the two hinged doors are four shelves. Two are adjustable and two are fixed, this makes finding a spot for items of varying heights hassle-free. The top of the cabinet provides an additional area for open storage. Because of its stature, you will be able to reach items stored on the top of the cabinet easily.
The wood laminate is coated with your choice of a beautiful dark cherry finish, white, or espresso. This cabinet is a beautiful way to organize your kitchen clutter.
- Two adjustable shelves and two fixed shelves
- Easy to assemble
- Short stature
- Ability to store items on the top
- Doors prone to being misaligned
- 12.5” x 24” x 59.5”
- Engineered wood
How To Choose the Best Freestanding Cabinet for Your Kitchen
Size. Perhaps the most important thing to consider when looking for a freestanding kitchen cabinet is the size of the unit itself. The cabinet needs to fit into your existing space, whether that is out in the open or stored in a pantry or closet. Check the height of the unit against the height of your ceilings. Compare the width and the depth to the space you have available, taking extra care to measure carefully, and then measure a second time!
Storage Space. The size of the unit goes hand in hand with storage space. Do you need lots of room or only a little? Also, think about the items you want to store. Dinner plates and large, bulky items need shelves that are fairly deep. Smaller objects like utensils are best stored in drawers. Most people prefer to store dry goods behind closed doors while dishes may look better when stored behind glass. Do you want a closed, open, or partially open cabinet?
Closed: the storage space is behind doors and is concealed from view. Best for dry goods, unsightly items, or things you want to be kept dust-free. However, you won’t be able to readily see what you have stored in the cabinet.
Open: the storage area is exposed. This is great for coffee bars, small appliances like microwaves or toasters, and some large dishes. Your items are within view and easily accessible. However, they are exposed to the environment and may gather dust.
Partially Open: there is a combination of exposed and closed storage spaces. It gives you awesome versatility and allows you to store a range of different objects. It isn’t so useful if you plan on keeping your cabinet within a closet or pantry.
Take all of these things into consideration while shopping for a cabinet.
Material. There are really only two types of materials on this list. Hardwood or real wood, and manufactured wood, like MDF or particle boards. While hardwoods are nice, they are costly and often very heavy. This can play a role when you have to assemble or move your freestanding kitchen cabinet. Manufactured woods are more affordable, lighter, and usually come in more colors than hardwoods. In most cases, your budget will help to determine the material of your freestanding kitchen cabinet.
Assembly. Almost all of these cabinets require assembly. The biggest complaints when it comes to building your cabinet at home are the instructions and their level of detail, the labeling of parts, and the correctness of pre-drilled holes. Some cabinets are simple to assemble while others take a certain level of skill. Before selecting your cabinet, look at the tools required, the assembly instruction, and reviews about the difficulty of assembly and how much time was required.
Design. Choosing the design is often the fun part of choosing the best freestanding kitchen cabinet. There are a wide variety of styles available. You can choose the colors and appearance, storage options (like framed glass doors), and even whether you want an open counter space area or just storage shelves. The options range from farmhouse to shabby chic, and even sleek and modern.
Safety. Some of the cabinets on this list include wall anchors. This is important if you have small children or even pets who may try to climb the cabinet. Anchoring the cabinet to the wall will help keep it from toppling over. This is especially true for cabinets that are very tall. Wall anchors can usually be purchased separately but if they are included with the cabinet, it will save you time and money.
The Best Freestanding Kitchen Cabinet
There can only be one best freestanding kitchen cabinet, and while the perfect one for your home can depend on a variety of factors, our winner is the Buffet of Buffets with Hutch by Home Styles. This cabinet offers a range of storage options from closed, to open, and includes drawers as well as shelves. Its classic appearance will suit most decor.
A great runner up is the Crosley Furniture Alexandria Kitchen Pantry Cabinet. It includes shelves as well as drawers and is just as functional as it is beautiful. However, any one of the cabinets on this list will help you tackle your kitchen clutter with style!